Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ugly

Partly Cloudy - Hi 64 Lo 43 for Baghdad, Iraq
Mostly Clear - Hi 59 Lo 32 for Qandahar, Afghanistan
Snow - Hi 30 Lo 13 for Northern KY, USA

Song of the week: Taste the Pain,
Red Hot Chili Peppers



Ramble:

I have not done a movie list in quite some time... probably more than a year. The reason is because the list in my head is ugly. Because of this, I have not popped a DVD in for months- including my annual Christmas and New Year's favorites. The only movies I have seen are the ones playing on AMC, WTBS, Oxygen, FX or some other cable channel... I'm thinking if I go ahead and get this list out, maybe just maybe I can go to my happy place. One of the chick cable stations has been playing The Devil Wears Prada... this is an ugly picture too... Meryl Streep is brilliant-- but a sad character and one that does not eminate one ounce of sympathy from me.

This list is a portrait of human nature...the under belly of human nature. There is no redemption in these movies... there is no triumph over a struggle, there is no David versus Goliath, there is no vigilante that takes matters into his own hands, there is no good conquering evil... this list of movies depicts ugly for the sake of ugly---

*** WARNING *** DO NOT PLAY CLIPS -- STRONG LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE, SEXUAL CONTENT, AND OTHER GROSSITIES... ***

So in no particular order:

Eraserhead (1977) or pretty much anything from David Lynch

This is a cult classic... I have seen it a number of times...



Trainspotting (1996)

Scottish heroin addicts. This is one of the most grotesque movies I have ever seen. However, Ewan MacGregor is brilliant...



Deliverance (1972)

Horrible. Incredible cast, terrific acting.



A Clockwork Orange (1971) and a few others from Stanley Kubrick

Vile depiction of youth. Starring Malcolm McDowell



Pulp Fiction (1994) and everything else by Quentin Tarantino



American Beauty (1999)

This movie oozes ugliness --- but I think the most vomitus part of the movie is the marriage- Lester and Carolyn-- Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening. Incredibly acted, impeccable cinematography... This movie won Academy Awards for Best Film, Best Actor, and Best Director.



I think that is enough... I missed a few-- but the morning is getting late and I have things to get accomplished today. Let me know if you have a movie you would like to see added to this list.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment