Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Nazi's Made the Jews Wear Flair

Sunny - Hi 108 Lo 85 for Baghdad, Iraq
Sunny - Hi 110 Lo 82 for Qandahar, Afghanistan
Scattered Showers - Hi 79 Lo 63 for Northern KY, USA

Song of the week: Three Imaginary Boys, The Cure - 1979


I have always loved The Cure-- I think it was 1981 when I first remember hearing them... Boys Don't Cry... I had such a crush on Robert Smith.... before the heavy make up and huge Aqua Net hair... as he became more of a caricature, the more dark and brooding the music became... and I obediently followed. As much as I would have liked to think of myself as dark and brooding.... I could only sustain that darkness for so long... although it is a place I am quite comfortable even to this day... it gets awfully lonely... it is better to be surrounded by light and love.



Ramble:

OK... So... the President has a beer with a racist and a cop (and the "VP").... Cash for Clunkers is already without funds...so the House has approved another $2 billion...nice... You have Nancy Pelosi calling insurance companies the villains.. and the House of Representatives has voted to place a cap on what bankers can make in pay and bonuses.... then my favorite... The White House now accepts Visa, Mastercard, and American Express from dining guests... when they are from "big evil business". And this is the stuff that is happening here in the United States... The insanity taking place globally is just as frightening...maybe even more frightening...

So... that's enough...for this week... I can't take anymore of this... Saturday, Scooter Trash Husband and I went to see The Hangover. Oh dear gawd... this movie is so funny... so sophomoric... it's up there with Office Space, Anchorman, Wedding Singer, Wild Hogs, and There's Something About Mary-- except... even more raunchy and even more sophomoric... My sis in law would absolutely HATE this movie. Lots of guy humor... The language is repulsive and there is full frontal nudity... of men... yep... that's right...lots of boobs too... at the end of the movie. Dude from The Office, Ed Helms is too funny. I love him even more now.

All right.. so, I'm on Facebook now... trying to figure that out. I'm in to double digit friends now, so that's good and I'm not feeling completely friendless. So, anyway... there are these games... I'm not quite following the purpose of them, but apparently I am playing and gaining points.. how, I'm not quite sure... in any event... I guess I'll keep playing until I can figure out how to make them go away. However on a fun note, my niece sent me a piece of Flair... and I love it... This caused me to go and seek out more Flair...

What is Flair you ask? According to Urban Dictionary, the most popular definition is, "Buttons and other decorative accessories added to a work uniform, esp. at chain restaurants. Almost universally despised by restaurant workers and customers alike."

The common everyday person became aware of Flair after the 1999 movie, Office Space. However, I think the first movie to introduce Flair was Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Mike Damone, the ticket scalper had a certain Flair... usually only one or two pieces at any given time.

I have a confession... I have my own Flair.. My Flair predates both movies... My Flair is now called vintage...(ooohhhh... ahhhh....) circa 1980.... nearly 30 years old... Back in the day, I wore my Flair on my Dad's USMC wool overcoat or on one of my many army surplus purchases... So I must thank dear Shauna for reminding me of this. Here are a few photos.... click to enlarge











Walk across the garden
In the footsteps of my shadow
See the lights out
No one's home
In amongst the statues
Stare at nothing in
The garden moves
Can you help me?

Close my eyes
And hold so tightly
Scared of what the morning brings
Waiting for tomorrow
Never comes
Deep inside
The empty feeling
All the night time leaves me
Three imaginary boys

Slipping through the door
Hear my heart beats in the hallway
Echoes
Round and round
Inside my head
Drifting up the stairs
I see the steps behind me
Disappearing
Can you help me?

Close my eyes
And hold so tightly
Scared of what the morning brings
Waiting for tomorrow
Never comes
Deep inside
The empty feeling
All the night time leaves me
Three imaginary boys sing in my
Sleep sweet child
The moon will change your mind

See the cracked reflection
Standing still
Before the bedroom mirror
Over my shoulder
But no one's there
Whispers in the silence
Pressing close behind me
Pressing close behind
Can you help me?
Can you help me?


Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment