Sunday, January 3, 2010

Culture Determines the Success of a Society

Sunny - Hi 70 Lo 50 for Baghdad, Iraq
Partly Cloudy - Hi 62 Lo 37 for Qandahar, Afghanistan
Partly Cloudy - Hi 22 Lo 15 for Northern KY, USA

Song of the week: The Beautiful Sea, Hem



Here is a better version from Grooveshark.

Ramble:

Happy New Year! Yes, it has been a while since my last post. Time flies and I was determined to have a nice Christmas, not to mention I haven't felt much like writing and I have been spending quite a bit of time on Facebook--- truly addictive... If you are on Facebook and know my real identity-- look for me or drop me a note.... email is located on my profile.

2009 is now behind us- it has been a very sad year... on many fronts... the most cruel has been to watch someone I love dearly self destruct---- Prayers for him and his family and his extended family are requested---- the wake of destruction is felt by everyone in his path... His cruel and selfish behavior is beyond any kind of sickness of the mind... The cruelty he has exhibited is self serving and self indulgent and his lack of concern for his own children and family is beyond my comprehension.

Politically we are in the crapper... Have Americans had enough yet? Is it too late? Are grass roots efforts going to be enough? Or are we at a crossroads as a nation? So much to absorb--- so much to watch--- Do you see what has been happening internationally? The trajectory is frightening...

Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said, "The central conservative truth is that it is culture, not politics, that determines the success of a society. The central liberal truth is that politics can change a culture and save it from itself."

This morning I was flipping through Youtube... I watched many viral videos from 2009.... I hope you see the same thing I see when reviewed collectively... Let me know your thoughts... Here are a few:



It can be argued that this sort of exhibit in church is not appropriate... however, Ecclesiastes 3:1-4 reminds us that, "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven; A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance..."



And of course this.... Les Miserables.... Susan Boyle... so fitting and so wonderful on so many levels...

I Dreamed a Dream

Have a great week everyone!

1 comment:

  1. It will be great to watch Les Miserables, i have bought tickets from
    http://ticketfront.com/event/Les_Miserables-tickets looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete