Sunday, February 1, 2009

Self Diagnosis: ADHD

Sunny - Hi 70 Lo 47 for Baghdad, Iraq
Mostly Sunny - Hi 67 Lo 47 for Qandahar, Afghanistan
Partly Cloudy - Hi 38 Lo 25 for Northern KY, USA

Song of the week: A Sort of Homecoming, U2



In the darkest days of winter, when I am blue and sun deprived, this song somehow brings me back. It brings me back to the people and places that are most important. It is a simple reminder that winter does indeed come to an end and spring will soon arrive...

Podcast of the Week: Dennis Prager: The American Trinity

Nationally-syndicated talk show host Dennis Prager talks to college students about the American Trinity of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. This speech took place at Young America's Foundation’s West Coast Leadership Conference.
December 15, 2008 - Running time 43:33


This is an excellent speech and gets to the heart of what America is and should always be. Go get a cup of coffee and listen. You will not be disappointed.

Ramble:

What a week. First let me just whine momentarily about the weather... I'm done. Half a foot a snow covered by half an inch of ice covered by another half a foot of snow does not make for a fun commute to work. You see we here in the midwest forget how to drive in it every single time we have a "weather event"... by the way... when did weather become an "event"? ugh. I am sure I would be of a different mindset were I able to telecommute to work... but alas... I can not... Scootertrash Husband and I were fortunate, we only lost power for about 5-6 hours. So not bad at all. There are still folks without power... not a good thing in the winter time. River's Mommy's Mommy was still without power as of Friday. Please report in Marti if you are able. I freely admit it was breathtaking and continues to be quite a spectacle. During the second snow storm I was convinced I was in a Currier and Ives snow globe. The trees look like they are covered in diamonds. The sun was actually out yesterday and made for quite a show.

Scootertrash Husband made the comment that all the fun stuff occurring in Washington D.C. has motivated him to start blogging again. He has posted a couple of interesting ones. Go check him. Nice perspective from a conservative atheist.

Yes... since I am in a new blog home, I thought I would revisit things about my husband and me that new visitors may not know or old timers may have forgotten. I thought about a list... but no one in life walks around with a list... That's not true... I have two separate lists in my handbag this very moment...

See that.. I'm back to the rambling... it's been a while...

OH! DC Roe has contacted me about Project 2996. After last year, I offered to help him in anyway possible because I have found this to be such an important remembrance. Dale wants to get started early. So this is my plea to all my techy friends... DC is looking for a way to automate issuing names for those that want to participate. Please contact me. We need help for this huge annual undertaking.

I have been playing on Twitter and LinkedIn all weekend. Twitter is great. I have become a follower of a bunch of Washington Insiders- have sent off private notes and read what they have to say... I can see now why it is so addictive. Let me know if you sign up for Twitter-- I'll follow you too! DragonLady was my first--- follower. And because of the economic climate- I have been working on my LinkedIn account. Despite my optimism about my current position, nothing is ever guaranteed so... It's also fun to find people I know LinkedIn.

Superbowl... We'll be watching. Who is playing by the way? KIDDIN!! I know! Who do I want to win? Well.. I don't really care... but I don't like the Steelers... but I'm told I shouldn't like the Cardinals either... go figure... All I know is that Scootertrash Husband is making all kinds of food and we have our 3-D glasses... It's going to be a great game...I guess. Do I care if Bruce is doing the halftime show? It depends... if he does something goofy and makes some obnoxious political statement, we'll flip the channel over to Animal Planet and watch the kitten half time show. I want Prince back. His half time show was the best. Ever. Except for this one in 2002. Do you remember?



And lastly... something to warm your heart..and inspire... Purple Fingers...

Iraqis held their most peaceful election since the fall of Saddam Hussein on Saturday, voting for provincial councils without a single major attack in a poll that demonstrated the country's dramatic security gains.

“The purple fingers have returned to build Iraq,” Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki said after the polls closed, referring to the indelible ink stains on index fingers that show voters have cast their ballots.

There was something of a holiday atmosphere in many parts of the country. In normally traffic-choked Baghdad, children took advantage of a ban on cars to play soccer in the streets.

“How can we not vote? All of us here have always complained about being oppressed and not having a leader who represented us. Now is our chance,” said Basra voter Abdul Hussein Nuri.


Read the rest here.

Have a great week everyone!

2 comments:

  1. If Chicago used Purple FIngers, we wouldn't have the voter fraud we have here today - Organizations like ACORN would be marginalized and we'd be confident in the ballot counts.

    In terms of weather, every time it snows here in Chicago, or rains, I called it Traffic Amnesia Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. River's Mommy's Mommy here. The power, water and phone went off Tuesday, the phone and water came back on Friday, the power came back on last night, Sunday about 7:30.

    I am happy to report that not one cow realized the electric fence wasn't working, it is good to have stupid cows.

    Also glad that this "camping vacation" as my husband called it is over.

    I decided I was going to think of it as an adventure, and to prove that I can handle inconvience and stress. I must say that cooking on a keosene heater takes a long time, and makes it taste all the better.

    I am from a hardy stock of people, My aunt made coffee over a candle, and hope to help JoAnna and Rob pass on the old time ways of doing things to River.

    Sure does come in handy to be raised poor, didn't seem so at the time. LOL

    ReplyDelete